Senior Electrical Engineer is responsible for the design of building electrical systems. They are expected to perform a variety of design and managerial tasks without supervision. The Senior Electrical Engineer supervises the work of CAD drafters, junior engineers and designers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Apply advanced knowledge of power distribution, grounding, lighting, control systems, fire alarm, low voltage and related systems toward the preparation of construction drawings and specifications for buildings.
- Review and understand documents produced by the client, architect and other consultants and apply this knowledge to the coordination of electrical building systems engineering and design.
- Application of advanced knowledge of federal, state and local building codes and NEC standards.
- Review and edit project specifications in MasterSpec® and Word® formats.
- Attend project meetings to obtain design input information and ensure that all facets of the project are being properly coordinated.
- Generate reports, narratives and studies.
- Survey existing buildings and identify electrical systems and components.
- Review project electrical submittals of equipment and materials for compliance with the contract documents.
- Respond to contractor questions during construction.
- Observe and report upon electrical construction work in progress.
- Prepare opinions of probable electrical construction cost.
- Project, track and manage project budgets, fees and manpower.
- P.E. professional engineer license in Illinois required
- Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited Electrical Engineering or Architectural Engineering program.
- Basic software skills including Revit™ BIM and Microsoft Office.
- 8-15 years of progressive experience in the electrical building systems industry.
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Familiarity with electrical design software programs.
- Specialty certifications in the design of electrical systems such as LEED, RED, etc.
- Active membership in IEEE, IESNA or other industry organizations.
- Motivated self-starter and fast learner.
- Experience in design and oversight of multiple projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.