Senior Mechanical Engineer is responsible for the design of building HVAC systems. The senior engineer is expected to perform a variety of design and managerial tasks without daily supervision. The Senior Mechanical Engineer supervises the work of design drafters, junior engineers and designers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Apply advanced knowledge of heating, cooling, piping, pumps, fan design and related systems to the preparation of construction drawings and specifications for buildings.
- Review and understand documents produced by the client, architect and other consultants and apply this knowledge to the coordination of mechanical building systems engineering and design.
- Application of advanced knowledge of federal, state and local building codes and ASHRAE standards.
- Review and edit project specifications in MasterSpec® and Word® formats.
- Attend project meetings to obtain design input information and ensure that all facets of the project are being properly coordinated.
- Generate reports, narratives and studies.
- Survey existing buildings and identify mechanical systems and components.
- Review project submittals of equipment and materials for compliance with the contract documents.
- Respond to contractor questions during construction.
- Observe and report upon mechanical construction work in progress.
- Prepare opinions of probable mechanical construction costs.
- Project, track and manage project budgets, fees and manpower.
- Develop skills and abilities of junior employees directly reporting to the senior mechanical engineer.
- P.E. professional engineer license in Illinois required
- Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited Mechanical Engineering or Architectural Engineering program.
- 8-15 years of progressive experience in the mechanical building systems industry.
- Basic software skills including Microsoft Office.
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Familiarity with mechanical design software programs.
- Specialty certifications in the design of HVAC systems such as LEED, RED, etc.
- Active membership in ASHRAE or other industry organizations.
- Motivated self-starter and fast learner.
- Experience in design and oversight of multiple projects
- Strong management and talent development skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Revit™ BIM software knowledge