At dbHMS, the Senior Commissioning Authority & Manager must lead and manage Commissioning projects independently and objectively. They evaluate needs, select and apply commissioning practices, procedures, and criteria using their judgment. This individual will be responsible for managing and directly overseeing other team members for various project-related tasks.
Excellent opportunity for a technical professional with a passion for analyzing buildings and how integrated components operate. The successful candidate will have the capacity to expand our team, lead projects, and mentor. We want this position to grow and become a leader within the commissioning practice in our Chicago office. The candidate will work directly with our Cx Chicago Manager, professional engineers, and commissioning agents to expand our team. This requires the ability to perform design reviews, analyze building modeling results, field observations, and testing practices.
dbHMS is unique as it balances both technical abilities and people skills. It requires an equilibrium of experience, technical skillset, and an aptitude for communication. This position offers someone with experience the ability to grow and eventually lead multiple team members. This position does offer some travel, finalities will depend on the candidate and projects.
The ideal candidate is a professional engineer or certified commissioning authority, or on track to become licensed with a minimum of 7+years of experience. Expertise in a particular mechanical, electrical or piping/plumbing (MEP) field, either in design, service or installation is highly beneficial, as is previous leadership experience. Specific experience and knowledge should include hydronic systems, building management systems, building analysis, investigation, and commissioning on new and existing facilities. The candidate should have experience and desire to lead other members of the team, both technically and processes. The candidate needs to have an understanding of construction sequencing and the ability to enhance projects and facilities. A strong candidate will have a scientific mindset, an intense desire to proactively identify concerns, make matters right, and a strong determination to analyze construction methods and material characteristics.
- Education: A 4-year degree in a technical field, preferably engineering-related
- 7+ years prior experience in the construction of building systems. Commissioning and retro-commissioning experience is a plus.
- Proven facilitator and leader, with positive people skills.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and team-building skills
- Field experience working with HVAC systems, Building Automation Systems, TAB
- Knowledge of building mechanical, electrical, plumbing/piping and life safety systems.
- Knowledge of building codes and construction industry standards.
- A strong understanding of building system design.
- Experience using field testing equipment.
- Strong software and computer skills (Word and Excel, Cx Alloy, Bluebeam, Procore)
- Work requires a willingness to work a flexible schedule when necessary
Commissioning Project Management Services (Project Specific) – 50-75%
- Provide commissioning services to clients in new construction or existing buildings
- Head a project commissioning team coordinating various disciplines.
- Conduct field evaluations.
- Develop and execute test plans/procedures.
- Collect and evaluate building system data using both a building control system and portable data logging equipment.
- Diagnose, analyze, troubleshoot and solve complex building system problems with assistance from Senior Staff members.
- Manage process for detailed energy modeling evaluation of complicated building systems, and provide a life-cycle-cost analysis
- Provide clear and well-written memorandums and reports to various clients (building owners, architects, engineers) regarding project-specific energy performance and modeling results
- Review deliverables for all studio work, ensuring quality and performance is achieved
- Support studio staff in effective execution of their work
Commissioning Studio Management – 15 - 30%
- Conduct quality assurance reviews to ensure engineering quality and accurate technical content of project-related documents
- Monitor quality of services and deliverables
- Monitor/manage all contract requirements including the project budget to provide periodic status updates to department management and business office for billing purposes.
- Stay abreast of technical developments in the field
- Develop “best in class” deliverables and practices
- Direct training of staff
Marketing – 5-10%
- Support business development efforts by meetings with potential clients
- Review Request for services
- Promote the commissioning studio and solicit new clients
Firm-wide support – 5%
- Assist other studios with engineering, design, or investigation needs
- Oversee quality review process for design and Cx work
Responsibilities involve mentoring junior level staff and maintaining quality within the Cx Studio. Additionally, this individual will support the promotion and development of client work to expand the markets we serve.
Salaried position with full benefits commensurate with experience and ability
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.